Dress Well: 1PM Photoshoot

J. Crew blouse (old), Paige Denim jeans, Zara heels (similar), J. Crew necklace (old), Anthropologie bag (old), Ray-Ban sunglasses

It all started last week, when a shopkick engineer came up to me and asked, "do you have time for a photoshoot next week?" Much to my surprise, I had been randomly selected as the stand-in for some screens in our app. Startup responsibilities come in all shapes and sizes.

They needed a girl who looked quasi-fashionable - so I defaulted to what I always default to when trying to look like I know what I'm doing. I put on my favorite J. Crew shirt (see website sidebar for further demonstration of my love) and a pair of heels. I got fancy and curled my hair and all of a sudden I was in photoshoot business.

Don't get me wrong - this was in no way a glamorous photoshoot. If the team decides they like the pictures, you might see the back of my head in the app. Might. But you know what? I had a fun time dressing up for it anyway.






Now, as promised, the story of my "logistical difficulties" earlier this week.

On Wednesday I flew to L.A. at 6:45AM with two of my co-workers for a business meeting. Despite the early wakeup, the trip wasn't going to be too bad - we were scheduled to fly out at 3:30, getting us home before 6PM. However, about an hour before our flight home, the radar system that covers all of Southern California went down...with no indication of when it might come back online. Airport personnel kept coming over the loudspeaker telling everyone to rebook their flights for tomorrow.

We were only there for a day trip, so we didn't have clothes, toiletries, basic essentials, etc. After a little time spent with Google Maps, we decided to ditch the uncertainty of the airport and drive back to San Francisco. Crazy, I know.

Our road trip ended up being SO much fun. We sped through gorgeous parts of California while listening to music and chatting the hours away. Even better, we didn't have to deal with the stress, anger, and claustrophobia that would have undoubtedly come from hanging around the airport.

Well, everything was great until we pulled into the Oakland airport (we made record time, I might add). We stopped in Oakland because we had to pick our cars up from where we had dropped them at 6AM that morning. While on the road that leads to the terminal, I got pulled over for the first time in my ENTIRE LIFE and given a ticket for an unfortunate run-in with a double white line. Pulled over after five hours of speeding through the California countryside, never once seeing a policeman! The policeman at the airport showed no pity, and now my perfect driving record is ruined.

But it's okay. If anything, the ticket only makes the day more memorable. I'm pretty sure my co-workers and I will be laughing about it for years to come.


After all that, I think I deserve to have a great weekend - which is exactly what I plan on doing. I can only hope you'll do the same!